As summer approaches and the temperature rises, it's important to keep our furry friends cool and refreshed. One delightful way to do so is by preparing homemade dog treats specifically designed for the warm weather.
By using simple ingredients and a little creativity, you can whip up delicious, healthy, and refreshing treats that will keep your four-legged companion wagging their tail all summer long. Let's dive into some fun and easy DIY dog treats perfect for those sunny days!
1. Frozen Watermelon Pupsicles:
Watermelon is not only a delicious and hydrating fruit for humans but also a refreshing treat for dogs. These frozen watermelon pupsicles are super easy to make and will be an instant hit with your furry friend.
- Fresh seedless watermelon
- Plain Greek yogurt (optional)
1. Cut the watermelon into small, bite-sized chunks.
2. If desired, mix the watermelon chunks with a small amount of plain Greek yogurt to add a creamy texture.
3. Place the watermelon pieces on a baking sheet or in an ice cube tray.
4. Freeze the tray until the watermelon is solid.
5. Serve these icy delights to your pup for a tasty and cooling summer treat.
2. Peanut Butter and Banana Bites:
Peanut butter and bananas are a classic combination loved by both humans and canines. These frozen treats are not only delicious but also provide a healthy dose of protein and potassium.
- Ripe bananas
- Natural peanut butter (make sure it doesn't contain xylitol, which is toxic to dogs)
1. Peel the bananas and cut them into small slices.
2. Spread a thin layer of peanut butter on one side of each banana slice.
3. Place the banana slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Freeze until solid.
5. Treat your pup with these cool and creamy peanut butter and banana bites for a delightful summer snack.
3. Chicken and Vegetable Popsicles:
These homemade popsicles are a nutritious and flavourful treat for your furry friend. Packed with lean protein and veggies, they provide a refreshing and satisfying snack.
- Cooked chicken (shredded or diced)
- Low-sodium chicken broth
- Chopped vegetables (carrots, peas, green beans)
1. In a bowl, mix the cooked chicken, chopped vegetables, and enough chicken broth to bind the ingredients together.
2. Spoon the mixture into popsicle molds or ice cube trays.
3. Freeze until solid.
4. Serve these chicken and vegetable popsicles to your dog on a hot day, and watch them enjoy a tasty and cooling treat.
4. Yogurt Berry Drops:
Yogurt is a great source of probiotics and calcium for dogs. Combined with antioxidant-rich berries, these frozen drops are a healthy and delectable choice for your furry companion.
- Plain unsweetened yogurt (avoid using yogurt with artificial sweeteners)
- Fresh berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries)
1. Mash or puree the berries to create a smooth consistency.
2. Mix the berry puree with the plain yogurt until well combined.
3. Drop small spoonfuls of the mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Freeze until solid.
5. Treat your dog with these tangy and nutritious yogurt berry drops for a refreshing summer snack.
5. Chilly Paws Delight (Dog Ice Cream)
Making DIY dog ice cream is a fun and easy way to treat your furry friend during the summer. Here's a simple recipe for dog-friendly ice cream:
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup plain yogurt (unsweetened and preferably without any artificial sweeteners)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (make sure it does not contain xylitol)
- Optional: dog-friendly add-ins like blueberries, diced strawberries, or a small amount of honey (check for any potential allergies or dietary restrictions)
1. Peel the bananas and mash them in a bowl until smooth. You can use a fork or a blender for this step.
2. Add the plain yogurt to the mashed bananas and mix until well combined.
3. Stir in the peanut butter until fully incorporated. The peanut butter adds flavour and creaminess to the ice cream.
4. If desired, add in some dog-friendly add-ins like blueberries, diced strawberries, or a small amount of honey. Mix well.
5. Pour the mixture into ice cube trays or small cups. If using cups, you can cover them with plastic wrap or foil and make small slits to insert dog treats as "handles" if you'd like.
6. Place the ice cream mixture in the freezer and let it freeze until solid. This usually takes a few hours.
7. Once the ice cream is frozen, remove it from the freezer and let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes to soften slightly before serving.
8. Serve the DIY dog ice cream to your furry friend, either in a bowl or by letting them lick it directly from the ice cube trays or cups.
Summer is a fantastic time to bond with your furry friend and show them some extra love. By preparing these fun and easy DIY dog treats, you can ensure your pet stays cool, healthy, and happy during the warm weather. Remember to always consult your veterinarian if your dog has any dietary restrictions or allergies before introducing new treats. So go ahead, get creative, and indulge your beloved pup with these homemade delights!
Did you try out any of these DIY treat ideas? We'd love to see! Tag or DM us on Instagram at @godoggoapp
More about GoDoggo:
GoDoggo is your ultimate dog-friendly city guide, making planning days out with your pup easier than ever. With 18 different categories ranging from restaurants, coffee shops, breweries to shopping, attractions, gyms, hikes and trails, the app helps dog owners discover and explore places based on their location, read and leave reviews from the perspective of dog owners, and learn more about the dog-friendliness of each location. Soon, the app will also have dog-friendly events. Download the app here.